Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Vehicle-2003 rav 4 Problem: Temperature control know was taken…

Customer Question
vehicle-2003 rav 4 Problem: Temperature...
vehicle-2003 rav 4 Problem: Temperature control know was taken off because it would not turn. Then, turning the white knob insert didnt work. Then, my son messed or looked around under the dash trying to find out why is was jammed or binding, but really couldnt figure it out. Everytime he forced it to heat, it would on its on go back to cold. Vehicle failed inspection for this today because the inspector noticed the knob not there so decided to check it. Is this a common problem, and where should i focus my effort to see if i can fix it on my own as i cannot pay hundreds for under the dash work... Please advise , thanks.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
7/1/2015
Toyota Mechanic: Randall C, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Hello, It is not possible for me to say exactly where the problem lies,It could? be the temp control panel or could be the cable or could be the temp door damper. One really starts at under dash, locate the temp cable, remove it, work door by hand, if it moves ok? then cable or control is bad then? you have to remove the control panel and inspect, if you can NOT move the temp lever by hand? then this becomes an internal HVAC case problem and then the unit is removed and is a big job,It is not a common problem I can report on so,, you can remove the control unit, inspect or get up under dash , drivers side and locate the cable and inspect, I included a link for you that you can see how it is all setup and how to get to things

Ok, Randall, im going to wait to rate you. Great info, but Id rather spend a little time on it using your diagrams and advice. So, thanks for the initial response and you will hear from me soon. Have a great day.

well, ok, I sent as much as I could, No way to send precise answer, Sorry for that. hope it goes ok

Randall, one other follow up question.......My son said about a year ago when he messed with it, he was able to move the control by force to the heat position, but that he watched the knob slowly move itslef back to cold. Does that mean anything to you besides what you have already sent to me.?

sorry, not a thing other than it is binding either at temp control, cable or damper lever, Still have to check as descirbed.It does not help zero in I am sorry,I think cable is bad but,, has to be confirmed

ok, to get it inspected i disconnected the temp control cable at the damper lever. Dampers move freely and full range of motion. I wedged it in the full heat positon and got through inspection.

I noticed the knob will only move from 0 degrees to 180(full range of heat), but when attempting to turn clockwise to cool it stops dead at 0 degrees.

Next i am going to pull the trim off so that i can better see what the control assembly and cable look like in that area.

It seems it has to be either the cable is kinked or the knob(not the knob it self, but the area where it attaches) is impacting something or locking up.

Thanks a bunch. Ill let you know what the final outcome is. Going out to work on it now.

well, it will be one or the other, you have to remove the control panel, inspect, it will be cable or the panel knob, One or the other,A least it is not the HVAC case

yes, you said that is not a common problem and doesnt appear to be for me. after ill isolate the culprit, ill follow up so you know and send your tip and excellent rating. Thanks a bunch. Great help!!!! Bill

thanks