Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

Camry: I reprogrammed my 03 Camry key FOB but it still doesn't

Customer Question

I reprogrammed my 03 Camry key FOB but it still doesn't work. The locks do cycle at the end of the sequence, indicating that it was reprogrammed.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for postingThe locks cycling at the next to the last steps confirms that the computer is ready for the transmitter to respond, the fob is not programmed until both lock/unlock buttons are pressed at the same time and the either the loc or unlock button for more than one second, the door locks will then again cycle to confirm the transmitter was accepted, this is not happening, it could be that the transmitter is the incorrect one, the FCC numbers do not match.
Did this key fob work before replacing the battery or is it a new one?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just purchased the vehicle.
I am getting the 2 different cycles of the lock/unlock. I get the first when it is ready. After I hold the lock/unlock combo for ~1.5 second and then hold the lock button for 2 second, I get a second sequence of the doors locking and unlocking. But then the key fob doesn't work.
The second cycle of the doors locking and unlocking indicate that the car is communicating with the key fob.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I also verified that the battery was measuring 3 V and even checked that the voltage would drop when the button was pressed. All of the connections on the key fob board look good and do not appear to be disconnected.
I agree with youThat's what is supposed to happen, is there a panic button on the back, with all doors locked does it work?
After the locks cycle automatically are you closing the door to complete the procedure? After that the locks should function, do the locks work with the button inside?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
After the second cycle, I did open and close the door to complete the programming.
I even tried the 'add' vs 'reprogram'. I did the 'add' 3 times. I tried the 'reprogram' sequence once.
I have not tried the panic button.
Let me know if the door locks can be operated from button inside.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just tried the panic button and it didn't work either.
The doors do lock and unlock if I press the button on the door.
Ok, most likely a problem with the keyless entry ecu, it's recognizing the transmitter but does not command the the actuators to work, this command goes from the ecu through the integration relay and it sounds like that's where the problem is but it could be either the ecu or the relay, it would need t be further diagnosed using a diagnostic computer that can activate the keyless entry system.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would I need to go to a dealer for that?
I would recommend doing so, yes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there anything else I can try? So far the info given was stuff I already tried and I am trying to avoid taking it to a dealer.
Do you have the instructions to erase all previous key codes and start new? You should have them if you have the ADD instructions, it's a matter or cycling the key a few times, if you don't have them I can look them up.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried the rewrite code and that did not work either. For the rewrite code, I cycled the ignition on/off two times in the process.
Did the locks respond twice when doing that?
Did you use confirmation mode to see how many codes were already in the computer?
Try disconnecting the battery with the key on for a few minutes, my problem is that I've never seen a fob not work after there was confirmation from the ecu, the only other thing I can do is open the question for other experts to see and maybe someone has experienced this type of problem before or if they agree with me about the problem being the integration relay or body ecu.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It will not enter into programming mode now. I did the same steps that I did yesterday and tried it numerous times. After I cycle the ignition and remove the key, the locks no long cycle. I have tried the ignition on/off cycle 1, 2, and 3 times but none work.
Also, I read something that after the key fob programming the locks should only cylce once. It was cycling 2 times yesterday so it was communicating but not getting programmed correctly.
They will cycle twice if you use re write mode which should actually erase all previous codes, it depends on how many times you manually turn the they the first time, once for add and twice for rewrite, if it's not responding at all now it would seem to me that the problem is in the car, possibly what I've already suggested. Possibly and most likely a problem with the theft deterrent ecu.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will be busy at work the rest of the afternoon. I will try the trick of disconnecting the battery with the key in the on position. Is that supposed to clear the flash memory in the ecu?
When I turned the key, I turned once for the first few attempts. The locks cycled once. After holding the lock/unlock and then the lock button, the locks cycled twice and I think that means it the programming did not work.
I turned the ignition on/off 2 times to try the rewrite. I got the locks to cycle but the key fob didn't work. Now the car will not enter into programming mode at all.
Disconnecting the battery may reset it. I don't know what else to try.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I disconnected the battery and it will enter programming mode. However, the FOB will still not program. After I turn the ignition on/off, the locks cycle indicating it entered programming mode. I do the button sequence on the key fob and the locks cycle once, indicating that it programmed correctly. I open the door to end the programming but the key fob still doesn't work.
Is the control module easy to access and replace if that proves to be the problem? Is there anything else to try?
I'm sorry to hear that
If I remember correctly the theft deterrent ecu is located under the top of the dash behind the instrument cluster. I don't really think that's the problem since the ecu is receiving the signals from the fob confirming that the programming is complete, maybe try another remote,it may also be looking for another key to program, try cycling the key from off to on 5 times, the security light should be steady on and not blinking, if it's blinking it is still looking for another remote, I will be traveling today but will try to get back to you in about 5 hours
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK. I will try that and see if it works. Thanks