Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota FJ Cruiser: , a month ago, my alternator failed, so…

Customer Question
Hi, a month ago, my...
Hi, a month ago, my alternator failed, so I had it replaced. Now, a month later, my alarm goes off and the key box transponder works (I changed the battery) but I can't get the alarm to stop. I can't start or move the car.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
6/28/2015
Toyota Mechanic: 3pac2222, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
3pac2222
3pac2222, ASE Certified Technician
hi try this lock all the door then use the key to open the drivers front door if that do not stop the alarm lock all doors again then use the key to open the rear hatch let me know please
Hi;
goes
I tried that, no luck. I used the key to open the car on the driver's side, and now on the rear door as advised. The doors open obviously, but the alarm goes off once the doors open and I am unable to get it to stop with the transponder.
Any other advice???
do you have an after market alarm system
No, this is the factory installed alarm system that was installed with the vehicle. Is it possible to disarm the alarm? I am really in a bind and have to travel for work in the morning?I really do appreciate this.Paul
do the alarm go off when you lock the doors
Yeah, when I use the key box to open the door, no alarm until I manually open the door. it stops in a couple minutes. When I use the key box to lock the door (Enabling the alarm) the doors lock, but the alarm goes off, then it stops by itself after a couple minutes.Paul
I read somewhere that the LED red light is actually a factory reset button for the alarm. Any validity to that? Is there a factory reset button somewhere else?Paul
no reset for this the remote and door lock should reset it
open the window lock all door then put your hand thou the window and try to start the car do not open the door
if this work open the door with the car running then turn it off and try the normal way
Ok, I will try this, I will open the windows, then shut the door. When the alarm stops, I will attempt to start the car. I will be back in 5 minutes.Paul
ok
Ok, I opened the window, put the key in the ignition, waited for the alarm to stop. I used the keybox to disarm the alarm as normal, it chirped. I then reached in and attempted to start the car, it did not work, the alarm went off again.I should mention that I do have a check engine light on, but my mechanic says that is the catalytic converter that needs changing, he said I would not pass inspection, but that problem would not leave me stranded on the road. I hope the two are not related.Paul
The alarm still goes off and I cannot start the car.Paul
i will have to opt out at this point and see if someone else can help you better because i have no other answers for you
Thank you Clifton,What happens next, will someone else message me?Paul
yes they will just do not reply to me and give it a few minutes
Hi Clifton;I was hoping to hear from someone, can you help connect me with someone?Paul
Hi Clifton;It seems that your advice worked. I went to empty the car and the alarm did not go off once I used the key box. I was able to start the car after all.Thank you very much.Paul