Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

2.7i: i have a toyota hilux 2.7i 3rz-fe that was runnig

Customer Question
Hi i have a toyota...
Hi i have a toyota hilux 2.7i 3rz-fe that was runnig fine all of a sudden it dies out ,it cranks well but no fire on plugs we even changed crank sensor ,according to auto elect.computer is not picking up key code what can.Many Thanx Andre
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
6/26/2015
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 2 years ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Thanks for postingThe engine does not start at this time at all is this correct?What was the diagnostic code number the last time it was scanned for codes?Is there an aftermarket alarm/theft deterrent system installed?
correct it does not start.
no idea what the code is.
alarm everything still orig.
Thanks for the reply
Do you have a volt meter or a 12 volt test light?
yes
Thanks, ***** ***** key on and measure voltage at the B+ connector in the diagnostic check connector under the hood, should be 12 volts. Does this engine have two coils or a distributor?
two coils
OK, measure voltage directly at the plus side of both coils with the key on, one wire on each coil should have 12 volts.
that is all 12v
Ok, there is no factory installed engine immobilizer system on this year Tacoma, there is something else wrong, you verified that there is no spark, there is power to the coils and you have replaced the crank sensor, it could be a cam sensor as well, I can't tell you to try a bunch of things that "may" be the problem and replace 'this or that', this wastes your money and my time, if there is a way you can get me some code information from the computer using a code reader I could probably have an answer for you within minutes, if you are not able to do that then I will have to opt out of the question and see if someone else can help, let me know how you want to proceed.
ok let me see if i can get you some fault code tomorrow as it is a bit late now, if it suits you.
according to the auto electrician is that the computer box or transponder unit does not recognize the key.
That would be great, I'm online most of the day. ThanksCan you attach a picture of the key that you are using?
will do it is the orig key im using all the time the one with chip in it.
Ok I got the picture, if the black part of the key is about 1/4" thick then it's an immobilizer key, this is a 2000 Tacoma? Do you live in the US or another country?
i live in south africa
Ok, that explains it, should have asked earlier, there was no immobilizer system in the Tacomas until about 2004, if you can get me the immobilizer code it would help. From what you've told me so far it seems the computer is not recognizing the key, it could be due to a bad sensor coil which is mounted around the ignition or an immobilizer ECU malfunction and more things like that. I'll look into this a little more and if I do need the code I will let you know.
Ok then ill here from you tomorrow its just before midnight need to get some rest but thanks so far.
Was the ignition switch replaced recently or anything done as far as electrical system is concerned?
I replaced the ignition barrel, keys and transponder unit approx.4 years ago and it was purchased from toyota agents other than that nothing else except for crank sensor the vehicle was running beautifull with no signs of failure it swtched off on her own and after that no fire(spark).
Ok, try to get the diagnostic codes for me so I can be a little more sure what may be going on.
Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician