Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Toyota Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

Toyota Corolla: , I purchased a 2003 Toyota Corolla last

Customer Question

Hi, I purchased a 2003 Toyota Corolla last friday it has 156,000 miles on it. Last night on my way home from work the check engine light came on. Had Autozone check the code this morning and it came up with a P0770 code. Question I made an appointment to have my mechanic look at it but they cant get it in until this coming Monday morning. It runs great, seems to shit just fine without any hesitation. I am just wondering if it is safe to drive to work today and tomorrow (about 40 miles total) till I can get it into the shop.
Thanks for any advice you can offer!!!
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 2 years ago.
That code refers to a shift solenoid and if it's shifting ok, then there is no problem with driving it until you can get it looked at. A lot of times this code will set if the shift solenoid has a "hiccup" and sends a false report to the computer. Dont worry you will not do any damage and it is not unsafe to drive like this :-)
Thanks for asking!
Larry
If you are satisfied with my service please use the required rating for me to receive credit for working with you.
Did you have any further questions? If not, please use the required rating for me to receive credit for working with you.
Larry