Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota pickup: 1995 toyota pickup 3l -engine light comes on…

Customer Question
1995 toyota pickup 3l -engine...
1995 toyota pickup 3l -engine light comes on at low rpm, goes off around 2000, come on again when rpm drops. There are times this does not happen at all. Tried getting engine codes but get no blinking. Engine run good for having 202,000 miles.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/24/2015
Toyota Mechanic: Dj, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and thank you for trusting us with your question. I'm DJ.I expect you tried to jumper TE1 to E1 in the DIAGNOSIS box to get codes. Let's try running a wire from TE1 to the negative post of the battery and we'll see if that will cause the check engine light to give up the codes. E1 is a ground connection. If for some reason it's not electrically connecting to ground, we won't get failure codes out of the ECU. That's the reason for running a wire to the negative post of the battery. Please let me know what you find and we'll figure this out. DJ
No luck; the check engine light was solid. Here is what i did - ignition off, connected neg battey post to TE1 using copper electrical wire, made sure of solid connection, turned ignition to On. Lights came on, but no flashing.
That's not good.
This could be a bad ECU but it could also be one of the two power supplies not getting to the ECU or it could be a faulty ground to the ECU.
You'll need a volt meter. With the black lead of the volt meter on the negative post of the battery, check the voltage on E1, E2, and B+. Key is on, engine not running during these tests.
E1 and E2 should be less than 0.1 volt. B+ should be battery voltage.
If those are good, then we need to check the white-red wire that goes into the ECU. It should be battery voltage. The blue-green wire should also be battery voltage. There's three brown wires. All three of them should be 0.1 volt or less.
Don't unplug the ECU when you do the test. I use a hat pin, also called a lapel pin or a quilting pin. They are long, skinny and sharp and they have a large colored plastic head. Just stick the pin into the connector where the wire goes in and it will make electrical connection with the terminal.
Let me know what you find and we'll figure this out.
DJ