Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Toyota camry le: , I have a 96 toyota camry le 2.2l. I recently

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 96 toyota camry le 2.2l. I recently replace the cylinder head. I took the old one to a machine shop and the sold me a new used one. I put it in and now it does not want to start. I checked and double checked the timing and it is all good. Then it would start but die in about 2 sec. It gave me codes p0300-p0304 so I replaced the spark plugs and wires but still won't start. Did a compression test and fuel pressure test and they are good. And I don't know what could it be
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 2 years ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Please advise if the vehicle has spark when it will not start. Please advise of your fuel pressure.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I had a friend come and check it out and he said that it does have fuel pressure and that it does have spark. I have a tool to check spark. I told him I noticed that the new head has a stud where to tighten the Distributor instead of install the bolt to tighten it up like the original head. He told me it might be that it might need a different distributor for the head that it might a head for the 2.2l but a different year

That could be exactly what the problem is. Incorrect cylinder head
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I called the machine shop and the said they ordered it specifically by the cylinder head number. Then that they matched it and that it is identical. Before installing it I inspected and it and everything is the same on it.

Is the distributor rotor under the plug wire tower for number one cylinder when the crank pulley is at TDC?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes it is. Double checked it I set everything at tdc and pulled off the Distributor cap and checked rotor to see if it was on when it's all at tdc

Please remove the valve cover and ensure that all of the valves on number one cylinder are closed with the crank pulley at TDC Also, does the engine try to run if you spray starting fluid into the intake?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did spray starter fluid in the intake and it did not want to start. It will start but shuts off in a few seconds unless I step on the throttle. When I release the throttle it struggles to stay on and dies. I did a compression test and all four cylinders have compression.

You probably have a massive vacuum leak somewhere. Intake manifold gasket is the most likely area to cause this. If you have proper rotor position, proper timing position, good fuel pressure, and it Won't start with starting fluid, you are getting too much air into the cylinders.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So you suggest to remove the intake and install a new gasket. Wouldn't I hear a massive air leak like that I made sure all the bolts were installed and all the sensors and lines connected, Or could it be that a vacuum lone is clogged somehow?

Could be a disconnected vacyuum like, like at the brake booster. It could be a stuck open EGR valve. Might not be the intake, but it sure sounds like it is a vacuum leak.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Where could I find the egr valve on my 96 camry

Back side of the engine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Cleaned out the egr valve and installed a new gasket. Now I have the check engine light with a p0301 qnd a p0340

P0301 is a cylinder one misfire. P0340 is a cam position sensor. That unit, if bad, will not allow the car to start