Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Prius: My 2008 Prius is dead. It will jump start using either…

Customer Question
My 2008 Prius is dead...
My 2008 Prius is dead. It will jump start using either the little battery under the hood on the driver's side. But. after driving about 10 miles and turning off power it is dead again. I have never received the battery warning light. Do I need to replace the batter under the hood (what I see referenced to as a Yellow Top" on the internet)or the one in the one in the rear? And how do I tell?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Toyota
6/23/2015
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 3 years ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. The 12 volt 'Aux" battery (the one in the rear) needs replaced. These batteries cannot be recharged once they get old and start to lose power. There will be no warning light if the Aux battery is weak; this system is not monitored. That battery powers up all of the other systems, so, if it was weak, you could not get any indication as none of the indication systems would be powered. The recommendation I have for you on this request would be to have the 12 volt Aux battery (in the rear hatch) replaced. Get this battery (and the installation if you prefer) at a Toyota dealer. The Aux battery is a special size and rating, most auto parts stores cannot get this battery as a replacement. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry. Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer