Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

O okey well i replaced my coolents sensor on my 2005 matrix

Customer Question

o okey well i replaced my coolents sensor on my 2005 matrix but i think something else is going on because my temperature gage is going up to 3/4 and it seems like the fan is not turning on and when i swiched it from ac to heat it started going down below half to its normal temp what do you think is happening is there a relay i can replace for the fan
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 2 years ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer Please allow me to assist you. The problem you have sounds like one of three things: 1) The thermostat is staying closed too long. 2) There is an air pocket in the cooling system. When this happens, the water pump does not circulate the coolant fast enough, as the air pocket tends to get into the water pump area where the pump cavitates (creates air bubbles). This slows down the speed of the coolant flowing thru the engine and radiator and causes the temperature to rise. 3) you could have a bad cooling fan relay or cooling fan temperature sensor. The recommendation I have for you on this request would be to drain the coolant and replace the thermostat. Use only a genuine Toyota thermostat (get it at a Toyota dealer). This is important as it has a special valve that helps the air pocket release. Then refill the coolant and raise the front wheels as far off of the ground as possible. Start the vehicle and remove the rad cap. Coolant will trickle out of the radiator. Add coolant as needed. At some point, the coolant level will drop. This is the air pocket leaving the engine (air bubbles tend to raise; that is why we raise the front of the car). Fill it with coolant until full and fit the cap. Lower the vehicle and wait for the cooling fan to activate. Shut it off and let it cool off. Then remove the rad cap and recheck the fluid. If the fans do not activate and the temp continues to rise, you will need some hands-on electrical testing on the cooling fan sensors and relays. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry. Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer