Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Camry: Eric, Camry 2003 on the way back from a short trip…

Customer Question
Hi Eric, Camry 2003 on...
Hi Eric, Camry 2003 on the way back from a short trip would not open with the remote, used the door key and noticed that the door locking button (driver door) was not working, tried to turn the ignition key; lights were on in the dashboard but the car would not start or click!
Then all of a sudden the car worked. Any idea what caused this problem. This is the second time it happens.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/22/2015
Toyota Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central. Thanks Chris
Yes, I'm waiting for a response. As I mentioned it happened twice that the remote (and the electric locking system) did not work and also the car would not start.
Could this be a connection issue where one of the fuses need to be replaced or cleaned. What other causes tie the remote & locking system with the starting system. By the way, power windows were working at that time.
These are symptoms that can be caused by a remote start system not operating correct. Do you have one of those. If not then we can start doing electrical diag on the starting system to see why it will not crank.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks Chris
The car has a new (OEM remanufactured) starter that I installed myself few months ago and the battery is great. I want to know what to do to fix the issue? I heard about a reset (pressing the remote lock and unlock until the car's lights flashes). Any other clue? what exactly needs to be done?
I assume you do not have a remote start being you did not comment on that, so that will make diagnosing easier. Right now are the symptoms occurring, if not then we can not diagnose it until the failure is occurring.
I have no remote start (this is not an option in this model). It's too risky to drive it when it has an issue like this as one can get stuck anywhere and it will potentially need towing...etc.
You did not give options that may fix the issue ..like resetting the system or any relevaant check! Are you familiar with the Toyota electric system and how to fix its issues?
I am very familiar with electrical diag. I can show and describe the tests to do when it will not crank, but your going to need to wait till this occurs again.
"your going to need to wait till this occurs again" that sounds like an invitation for more trouble to happen to me or my wife. I will not rate you as my rating will be negative and I hope that this gives you a second chance with future customers to give them real support.
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 2 years ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Please allow me to assist my colleague on this request. The first thing you need to do is go out and clean the battery terminals...see if they are loose in any fashion before you loosen the battery terminal nuts. Then make sure that the negative battery cable where it attaches to the body is clean, tight and no corrosion is present. This sounds very much like either you have a Poor connection at the battery, or you have a loose plate inside the battery that is not allowing full power to reach the fuse panel.
That doesn't sound like it as the power windows were working but the door locks and ignition were not. You need more power for the windows then to lock doors. Thanks
Perhaps. That is where we start. The next thing in the line to check are for looseness at the AM1 and AM2 fuses. One powers up the passive side of the fuse panel, the other powers up the active side of the fuse panel. What you have here is a loss of power someplace between the battery and the fuse panel. Experience with this problem in the shop a few times led to the replacement of the integration relay which ic located on the back pof the fuse panel. The integration rleay (sometimes called a body computer) is responsible for a lot of functions. If it gets wet, has poor contact where it plugs in, things like that, you get intermittent operation of things. I have replaced a few for this very problem. However, if AM1 or AM2 is loos and not making good contact, the Int Relay will not receive power.
AM1 and AM2 fuses have no issues. Checking on the integration relay would be relevant if it can affect both the starting and the locking system but not power windows (which uses more power than locks).Does this relay affect the car randomly or there are other relays that can affect both locking and starting?The 2 instances (when the car would not unlock with the remote or from inside along with not starting) were both after a fairly short trip (3 weeks apart) weather fairly hot but not wet and was left for about 30 minutes and eventually it worked without interference.
The integration relay is not a traditional relay It is more of a power distribution system, It 'integrates' and then relays power to many circuits to and from the fuse panel. It contains wires that allow power to flow from the fuse panel to specific circuits. If it has a problem, the circuit that is is supposed to output power to will not receive power. This is where I would be looking if your car was in my shop. If there is any issue with this unit, you can indeed have intermittent problems....especially on hot wet days where humidity can affect the wires inside the unit.
The car had the same issue today after***** Here is what I noticed:
1. Windows would open, front and rear light can work others would not (high/low beam and interior lights)
2. Radio would not work
3. When turning the ignition half way;
a. ONLY These lights would be were on : oil check/seat belt/open door/shift position
b. All other indicators did not turn on (ABS/battery/brake/air bag)I opened the fuse box under the hood and pressed the relays incl. "EFI" and they would click and then everything worked again then dropped. Pushed on the EFI relay again and the car worked!!! I expect this issue to happen again when it's hot.If you strongly believe that the only issue is the integration relay (not any other relay. What are the next steps?
1. Do I need to test it (if yes how)?
2. Where do I buy it? (could not find it on the web)
3. How do I replace it?
Give me a moment to read your post.
Toyota Service
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert