Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Highlander: 05 highlander base 4cyl. Power steering hard to

Customer Question

05 highlander base 4cyl. Power steering hard to steer . Power steering fluid overflows out of resivior when i turn the steering wheel. First thought pump went out replaced it. Still same problem. Any thoughts?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.
did you reuse the power steering pressure switch mounted to the pump, or did you install a new or did the new pump come with one?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Reused
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.
HI,
There are 2 possible causes - faulty power steering pressure switch or bad rack and pinion. It takes special pressure gages to test the pressure to see which is bad, so unless you have this or want to spend $400 for one, my suggestion is to start with replacing the switch as it is fairly inexpensive- $30.
If still having the issue, then replace the rack and pinion unit
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was @ hwy. Speed and heard the power steering start making noise and could feel it in steering wheel then heard and felt a thunk and it was manual steering after that
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.
HI,
Sorry for the delay. We are in the middle of severe storms and my internet is hit and miss since I have satellite internet.
Ok, those symptoms pretty much eliminate the switch and confirm that it is the rack and pinion unit
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks