Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Sr5 pickup: my 85 sr5 pickup will only crank not start with

Customer Question
my 85 sr5 pickup will...
my 85 sr5 pickup will only crank not start with high outside temps
thanks moe
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
6/19/2015
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 2 years ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Thanks for posting, is this EFI or carburetor engine?
How long do you have to wait for it to start again?
After it does start back up is there any black smoke?
rec be cause of temps over 100 the next morning no black smoke it starts up to 110 under hood temp then will not start
Is it the fuel injected engine, 22 RE?
FI
Thanks for offering the phone call but I don't have an answer for you at this time why you are having the starting problem, the only thing I can suggest is to try to replace injector time switch which could be keeping the cold start injector open and flooding the engine, the switch is located at the front near the thermostat and has an electrical connector on it. Also check to make sure that the cold start injector is not leaking after turning the engine off
is there anything in the AFM that could be affected by high ambient temps if the left side of the truck is out of the sun it will start
That's a possibility, the airflow meter controls the fuel pump circuit, try grounding the yellow green wire the next time it wont start, this will over ride the AFM switch and turn the fuel pump on.
I did jump the fuel pump test plug which overides the afm switch to the pump still no go I'm wondering if a resistor in the afm is getting hot
A good chance that that is the case, have you checked what is actually causing the no start, is it losing fuel pressure or spark?
There is spark while cranking so jumping the pump test plug makes the pump work what makes the injectors operate
Good question, there should be 12 volts constant voltage with the key on to one of the injector connectors, the other side is grounded on/off by the computer so I think my next step would be to check injector pulse voltage when cranking the engine, a test light should flash on and off, it's best to use a noid light that plugs directly into the connector, the ecm like all computers is sensitive to high temperatures so this could also be a problem.
The problem seems more prominent when the left side is in the sun or under hood temp is around 120
I understand, check the injector pulse when it's not starting so we can eliminate that as a possible cause.
I'll check that next time it won't start right now its parked right side in the heat and it keeps starting
Ok, sounds good.
Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician