Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Camry: I have a 1999 Toyota Camry, When I shift it the 10amp

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Toyota Camry, When I shift it the 10amp Gauge fuse blows.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 2 years ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you
Is the car available at the moment?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes
THe normal place for the wire to pinch and short out is not on the trunk lid. It is usually about 4-6 inches back towards the rear seat, on the driver side. Did you peel the insulation tape off that far back?
If not, please remove all of the insulation tape as far as you can on the trunk lid harness
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes, I did peel it all the way back from where it goes behind the seat. I also tugged on each wire to see if it was broken somewhere farther in.
I removed all of the wiring covers in the trunk. Checked them all.
Just a heads up, when this started I had a bunch of rain run into my drivers window and down the window frame that separates the driver window from the windshield. That water ran into the area above the fuse box and I would assume it ran on top of all the fuses. :-(
Oh. That sheds a totally different light on the subject. Thsi too is something that we see a lot of.
What you have is water intrusion into your "integration relay" (which is sometimes called a Body Computer. It is mounted on the back side of the fuse panel.
This device sends power to various circuits to and from the fuse panel. Inside this box are tiny solid steel circuit wires, which are very close together.. If they get wet, they corrode almost instantly. As the corrosion builds, the outer part of the wire gets bigger...The corrosion causes one wire to 'touch' another wire. This results in a short circuit.
The recommendation I have for you on this would be to have the fuse panel removed and the integration relay visually inspected for corrosion. if present, replace the relay. Removal of the fuse panel and the Integration relay is not something you want to do in your driveway if you are not skilled with this type of work.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.
Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.
Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would a Chilton manual or similar guide me through replacement of the relay?
I do not have a Chilton manual to reference from for this particular car, but, the ones I have seen do not address fuse panels.
The Chilton manuals are more of common occurrence repairs. This is not common, albeit it does happen every time it gets real wet
What you could do is get a hair dryer and set it on medium-high and blow the air on the fuse panel. After about 15 minutes, tap on the panel with a mallet or similar tool. The drying and the tapping might dislodge the corrosion if it is present.
You could also have a short circuit in the park/neutral switch. This unit is located on the side of the transaxle that faces the radiator, wherre the shift lever cable attaches to the transmission shift arm..
You might want to remove the air box to get to it. Unplug the connector and see if it has water in it, or the harness is chafed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you have a part number or picture of what this integration relay looks like?
ok let me see what I can do
I have a picture of an Avalon fuse panel; it is close the the Camry panel with respect to the relay and where it is. On the picture, the relay is in the front. On yours, it should be in the rear of the panel
Unfortunately, the site's image attachment mechanism appears to be inoperative
Here is a link to a fuse panel/integration relay on Ebay. You can see the configuration On this picture, the integration relay is the blue box. Yours is either blue or orange
Link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/98-99-97-96-95-Toyota-avalon-interior-fuse-box-panel-integration-module-relay-/251333254269
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So I took the integration relay out, there were some water spots on the board. They were actually slight water spots, didn't look too bad but I cleaned it thoroughly with rubbing alcohol and qtips. I put the board back in and replaced everything. I was able to put he car into and out of gear without the fuse blowing. So far so good, I drove it to the end of my driveway which is roughly 300 feet. As I was about to the end of my driveway the fuse popped again.
Could it still be moisture in the wires by the bcm or could it just be a bad integration module?
I would look inside the integration relay for moisture. Since it did not blow the fuse, you are on the right track to fix it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did take the relay apart and cleaned it with alcohol and qtips already.
Then you have moisture inside the fuse panel or where the integration relay plugs into. This is where a hair dryer would come in handy. Warm it up, but not too hot. Any moisture will cross circuit and short the fuse out
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So, to clarify the integration relay would be okay? Or should I replace it with another?
I would replace it. Yes. I really would.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, so I ordered the replacement relay and I will install it when it gets here. Can we put this on hold until I receive the part and test it?
Sure can. No worries.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So I put the integration relay into my car this morning. I drove for about a half a mile and it pops. Now what should I do , any thoughts?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
See question above, what would be the next steps?
The next thing I would do would be to start the car, and then disconnect the park neutral switch on the side of the transaxle that faces the radiator. Put it in gear and see if it pops the fuse. If not, replace that switch. You have to start the car before you disconnect the switch or the car will not start.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, so I started the car and then disconnected the switch. I was able to drive around all day without any issues. Of course, if I shut off the car I would have to reconnect the switch to start it again. So I think we have determined what the issue is now. I am going to try and clean the switch before I get a new/ used one to replace it.
THANK YOU for your help in troubleshooting this matter.
Joe
You are very welcome. Glad to help. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated. A bonus would be nice if you are really happy with my assistance. Thanks for choosing Just Answer