Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

John! i have this same problem, a 99 toyota sienna with

Customer Question
hello john! i have...
hello john! i have this same problem, a 99 toyota sienna with no cabin air filter....and a mold smell when i run the AC.....can you tell me where the wiper bowl is so i can clean it out? thank you!
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Toyota
Actually i had mold throughout the car at one point, i had the entire carpet replaced, and cleaned the car out really well with bleach etc, and still i have this terrible mildew smell with the AC......if you can help me understand how to clean that, and if there is any other thing i can do, any other filter of sorts that i can change...please let me know! thanks!
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/15/2015
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 3 years ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you.
The mold/mildew odor is coming form the inside of the AC evaporator box.
This is not something you can easily access to clean.
However, there is good news here. Toyota has a product that introduces a foam cleaner/disinfectant into the evaporator box (s) that will kill the mold spores that cause the odor.
There is, undoubtedly, other products on the market that work the same way. You would need to gain access to the AC condensate drain tube. Insert the nozzle of the product's spout into the drain tube. Empty the entire can into the AC drain tube (also the rear dain tube if you have rear AC. The chemical will kill the mold spores and then drain back out onto the street.
The problem with doing it yourself is accessing the drain tubes. If you have access to a vehicle hoist, the procedure is easy. If not, it would be best advised to take it to a Toyota dealer where they can use their excellent product and their hoists to raise the vehicle. I owuld do the dealer shop route if I were you. The aftermarket chemicals are not as strong as the Toyota chemical.
To recap, the mold odor is caused by mold spores in the Ac box(es). Apply a disinfectant into the boxes thru the AC condensate drain tube.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.
Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.
Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer