Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I recently had to replace the muffler on my 2003 v6 double

Customer Question
cab tacoma with an after...
I recently had to replace the muffler on my 2003 v6 double cab tacoma with an after market product to get my truck inspected.Since then i've been getting a whistling noise when starting off from a dead stop or between 30 and 40 mph when lugging down. what can be causing this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
6/14/2015
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 2 years ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. The non-factory mufflers have what we call in the business a 'weep hole' built into the exterior casing. This allows trapped moisture to drip out (by product of the catalytic converters); this increases the life of the muffler as water trapped inside the casing will rust the muffler out.
The whistle is most likely a weep hole that is too big, or improperly manufactured. This is the exhaust gas exiting the weep hole...
I would recommend taking this muffler back and obtaining a refund. Go someplace else for another muffler from a different manufacturer or, if the place you got this one form has one from a different company, use that one
If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.
Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.
Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer
thanks for the reply.I've printed it off to take to my mechanic,hope it works.
You are very welcome. Also mention to him to check the flange gaskets where the exhaust pipes fit together. Sometimes, if one side it together than the other, the flange seal is not good and can leak. This too can cause a whistle.
A positive rating would be greatly appreciated. Have a great week.
Toyota Service
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert