Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Toyota siena: how do i get the backhatch open when the handle

Customer Question

how do i get the backhatch open when the handle is broken
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 2 years ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you.
If the handles is broken, the interior panel on the back hatch needs to be removed. One the panel is off, locate the area where the hatch handle is on the sheet metal. On the inside of the hatch there is a cable that attaches from the handle to the latch. Pull on the connection to release the latch.
To remove the interior panel, remove the 10 mm bolt that holds the inner pull handle onto the panel, and then pry the rear panel off with a flat tool.
This is exactly what we would be doing if the vehicle was in our shop; removing the rear interior panel to access the inner workings opf the rear door.
If you do this yourself, take great care with prying the inner panel. It can and will crack if you pry too hard or too fast
If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.
Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.
Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
when the hatch is closed it is tight and there is really no room to pry the inside panel off?
We have a tool for this. It is sort of a a Strong putty knife looking device that is bent at a right angle. Works perfectly.