Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

4Runner SR5: . First time on this site. Own a 2003 4Runner.

Customer Question
Hi. First time on this...
Hi. First time on this site. Own a 2003 4Runner. Recently discovered water around my fuse box (may explain why my rear wiper stopped working for about 2 weeks). Seeing posts describing leak entering through holes around the windshield. But my first thought was roof rack damage I experienced from recent car transport.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
Other than once I have not had the water appear again around the fuse box (it actually dripped onto my leg that one time). I felt water all around the fuse box and the underside of the instrument panel. My roof rack damage was thought initially to be superficial (the only damage was fracturing the rear plastic caps covering the mounting brackets but no other damage to the brackets was seen), but I subsequently noticed body damage (deep scratches) to the top surface of spoiler near each end. Didn't notice this at first (too high above my head and facing upwards).
I also don't think it's the sun roof. There are no signs that this is "leaking", although water can be felt from inside the truck by poking a finger into the sun roof opening at the front driver's side corner. But I think rain collects there (in a drain tray) and drains into tubes at each end
6/13/2015
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 2 years ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Thanks for posting
The sunroof has a drain channel all around the opening there are water drain tubes attached to each corner that exit at the bottom of the vehicle, it sounds like the front drain tube on the left has become detached from the sunroof frame assembly.
To check this the sunvisor and the center overhead console should be removed as well as the plastic A pillar along the inside of the windshield, remove the door opening molding, the headliner can be pulled down enough to inspect the drain tube and be re attached. It's also possible that the drain tube is clogged preventing drainage of the water which causes it to collect and flow into the headliner.
I found the likely source of the leak. It spilled over from the sunroof drain tray because the driver's side drain tube was clogged and water managed to fall over the side of the tray during a turn. The tube has been cleared and water now drains quickly.
Thanks for the update and thanks for using our service.
Please take a moment to give me a rating, thanks.
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech