Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

Im Tom. I have a 1999 Lexus RX300. Bought it used, knowing

Customer Question

Hi, Im Tom.
I have a 1999 Lexus RX300. Bought it used, knowing the seller removed the check engine light bulb from the dash. It just died while driving. Had 3/4 tank of gas. Did'nt hear fuel pump so I had it towed home and replaced the fuel pump. It will not start. Turns over fine. I have the rear seats out exposing the fuel pump access and can hear the fuel pump only when the starter is turning over.
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Wonder if by installing the new fuel pump i have air in the line and it needs to be bled.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for posting
The pump runs when the starter is turning, after the engine starts the circuit opening relay will keep the pump running.
Check the under hood diagnostic connector, open the cover and see if there are two terminals designated FP and B+, if there is put a jumper wire between those terminals and let me know if the engine stays running.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the response Ted. Sorry for the delay, we lost our c
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry for the delay. We lost our computer connection. I just opened the diagnostic cover and there is not a connector in the FP port. There is one in the B+.
Thanks for the reply, let me look into this a little more and get back to you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank You, Ted.
Just a couple of questions:
Does the engine start for a second or so and die right away?
Is it possible that the fuel gauge is inaccurate and it actually ran out of gas?
I'm curious as to why the check engine light bulb was removed by the previous owner, sounds to me like the light was staying on and there are some diagnostic trouble codes they were trying to hide.
Did the seller tell you why the bulb was removed?
How long after buying it did it stop running?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The engine does not start at all.
Plenty of fuel in tank when we dropped in the new fuel pump.
I bought the car from my long time neighbor.
I helped my neighbor detail the car prior to his putting it up for sale. We got a scanner from O'reillys and it indicated I believe an oxygen sensor in the exhaust system. He tried to replace it but the mounting flange was rusted and broke on him. He clamped in the new sensor but I don't think it seated properly, so the code and engine light remained on.
He had it for sale for a while and when it did not sell, I bought it because he took care of it. I have owned it for 5 years and no major problems. It has 130K miles. I could replace the bulb, but as I recall all the dash clips we troublesome to remove.
Ok thanks, ***** ***** have a 12 volt test light or a voltmeter? We need to check a couple of voltages. If not we can continue tomorrow, most hardware and autoparts stores have them in stock.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't have a test light here. I'll get one in the morning. I don't know where your located, but I'm in Michigan.
I'm in California,
It should be about 9pm your time.
I probably won't be available until about noon your time tomorrow.
We can continue then. I have a wiring diagram of the fuel system, just need to check a couple of voltages.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Ted. Lets continue tomorrow around noon.
Sounds good.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just wondering if your available to follow up. Its been raining heavily here all day and my car is parked outside. I do have a test light and voltage tester. (Just bought it, not quite sure exactly how to use it)
Hello, It can wait until you're ready to continue, tomorrow is ok.
The test light has a pointed probe, this is for the positive voltage, the back wire with the alligator clip is connected to a metal ground, try it on your battery first.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, lets try tomorrow.
Ok, I have an appointment in the am but I'll check back as soon as I can