Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Avalon: The ABS light in my '02 Avalon won't turn off.The…

Customer Question
The ABS light in my...
The ABS light in my '02 Avalon won't turn off.
The airbag has never been deployed.
The dealership replaced the airbag wiring for $2K, abut after a few minutes the light still comes back on.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Toyota
6/12/2015
Toyota Mechanic: Alex, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
Alex
Alex, ASE Certified Technician
Hello, My name is***** for using Just Answer.
If there is a fault in the airbag system you will see a red SRS light on. If there is no SRS light on the airbag system is most likely working fine.
The amber ABS light is the anti-lock brakes warning. This indicates there is a problem with the anti-lock braking system that needs to be diagnosed. As long as the ABS light is on ABS braking will be disabled until the problem is fixed and the trouble codes have been erased.
The first step in diagnosing the ABS light is to connect a scan tool capable of reading ABS codes to the vehicle and read the trouble codes. Most parts stores like autozone and advance auto will read the codes for free.
Once you know what codes are coming up under the ABS module, you can narrow down the problem area. For example, if you have a code coming up that says Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor, you may have a bad wheel speed sensor, but there are a few other things that need to be checked as well.
You can have the codes read and come back and let me know what they are and I can give you a better idea of what's going on.
I'm sorry, I meant the light with the picture of a person in the car seat with the airbag deployed.
Is that the ABS light?