Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

4runner: I've got transmission fluid mixed in with my coolant…

Customer Question
I've got transmission...
I've got transmission fluid mixed in with my coolant reservoir. Transmission fluid level is low---- radiator overflowcontainer is overflowing. NEW RADIATOR REQUIRED......?????
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
6/11/2015
Toyota Mechanic: Ron Z., - Toyota Tech - replied 2 years ago
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
I'm sorry the Tech you requested was unavailable to assist you today. It appears that Tech is currently "Offline". Now that his 15 minute "request lock" has expired, hopefully I can be of some assistance in his place...On this vehicle, the transmission fluid is sent through a seperate section, internal of the radiator for cooling. If the transmission fluid is getting into the coolant, this means that the divider internal of the radiator has failed and is allowing the transmission fluid to get into the coolant. So, unfortunately, yes, the radiator is most likely going to need to be replaced. Once the radiator is removed, it's a good idea to flush the cooling system to make sure all of the transmission fluid is out. Having transmission fluid in the coolant will break down the composition of the coolant and it will not be able to cool the engine as effectively. Once the flush is complete, install the new radiator and fill with new coolant. Please do the right thing and remember to leave a rating using the stars at the top right of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited for this Q&A. You can ask follow-up questions even after you rate or accept.
Ron Z.
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -