Your Toyota Guy
Your Toyota Guy, Certified Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  I have been/am a Toyota technician for 15yrs+.
75929629

I have a 2008 Toyota Avalon. I am having a problem with the

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Toyota Avalon. I am having a problem with the rear sunshade. It was stuck in the up position, and every time I wanted to lower it or put the car in reverse, the motor started making loud grinding sounds, like as if the gears were stripped. The local dealer said that it would cost me $2500 to fix it. I just walked away. Obviously it would be nice to fix it at a reasonable cost, but I think I am just going to pull the fuse on it. Any other ideas?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Your Toyota Guy replied 2 years ago.
There is no easy fix but you can put the shade into the down position, and just leave it there. Get someone to sit in the back seat and when you push the button to lower it tell them to push down on the shade, it will go down and stay down.