Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

4runnwe': my 1999 3.4 v6 Toyota 4runner overheated and timing…

Customer Question
my 1999 3.4 v6 Toyota...
my 1999 3.4 v6 Toyota 4runner overheated and timing belt broke, some say change eng. but would you change water pumb and belt and take the chance the eng. did not get hurt on the over heating issue or lifters were bent etc. thanks for your help 100.00 vs several thousand and an old used motor.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Toyota
6/10/2015
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 3 years ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you.
All Toyota engines with timing belts are 'non-interference' engines. This means that the valves will not contact the pistons in the event of a timing belt failure.
If the belt is broken (or jumped a few teeth), it will not start.
In my shop, it is a standard recommendation to the customers that whenever we see a timing belt job come in, we Always recommend replacement of the water pump. The extra labor is only 1/2 hour...8 or 10 additional bolts and clean the mating surface of the block.
What has probably happened here is your water pump failed and caused the belt to break. Any time you have a coolant leak in the water pump area, and the leaking coolnat gets on the belt, it weaken the belt considerably. You belt has probably slipped a few teeth if all you had was a leak. If the pump seized up, you would lose the belt.
The recommendation I have for you is the same. Replace the belt and the pump at the same time.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reply
If you are satisfied with my input, Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.
Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer