Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Toyota 4 runner: Goodmorning, I have a 1997 Toyota 4 runner

Customer Question

Goodmorning, I have a 1997 Toyota 4 runner and my key broke off in the ignition at about 1/3 point. So I drilled out the broken one, and bought a new one. The new one isn't turning the car over. can you give my some pointers on how to put the new ignition in so it will engage?
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When i initially tried to put the ignition lock in I even tried to line up the male and the female part, but still no response from the car. Hooked the new ignition in and you would think when i turned the key on that it would start but it wouldn't start. retried the application processes ,but nothing. need to know what to look for appond the installation process. can you help me troubleshoot it please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
even after I took it back out the car stayed on. its like the housing is malfunctioning or the new part isn't any good.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
If one of the parts you installed is the electronic ignition switch the new switch sounds to be faulty causing this issue here.I have seen where the new switch can be faulty out of the package and cause issues like this here.
Thanks Pete