Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Matrix xr: why has my matrix had a major power loss it will…

Customer Question
why has my matrix had...
why has my matrix had a major power loss it will just go 60 on the interstate?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Toyota
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
when kicks into passing gear it revs up but mph goes down, not a constant pull it fades in and out
6/7/2015
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 3 years ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you.
Before we begin, please note that some scanners do not properly communicate with Toyota computers. You may have codes, but your scanner cannot show the codes
The first thing that comes to mind (without DTC codes) would be a malfunctioning variable valve timing issue.
The recommendation here would be to take this vehicle to a Toyota dealer and have them hook their computer interface to the car's computer. Using this tool, they can manually activate the oil control valves for the variable valve timing. If the test fails, you may need a VVT oil control valve (common) or a replacement VVT controller
The revving up and MPH going down can be a VVT issue, additionally, this could also be an internal transmission problem. After you get the scan, I would strongly recommend that you get the transmission fluid flushed out (flushed, not drained and refilled). This is assuming you have an automatic transaxle. If you have a 5 speed, you may need a clutch disc.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reply
If you do not have any other questions, Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.
Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer
I took out the vvt, serviced it, put it back in. It didn't solve the problem
There are 2 components to the VVT. The oil control valve and the actual controller drum located on the end of the camshaft. The controller is most likely the problem