Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have 2007 Toyota Camry. The brake lights are not working…

Customer Question
hi, I have 2007 Toyota Camry...
hi,
I have 2007 Toyota Camry. The brake lights are not working when pressing on the break pedal. Also, won't shift out of park. I am able to get it out of park by pushing the emergency release button at the base of the shift column on the console. Please help!!!
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Toyota
6/5/2015
Toyota Mechanic: Ron Z., - Toyota Tech - replied 3 years ago
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
I'm sorry the Tech you requested was unavailable to assist you today. It appears that Tech is currently "Offline". Now that his 15 minute "request lock" has expired, hopefully I can be of some assistance in his place...When the shifter will not release from Park AND the brake lights do not work- these are both directly related. First, check the fuses in the fuse box under the dash. If the fuses are all good, then the problem will lie in the Brake Light Switch located under the driver's side dash at the top of the brake pedal arm. This switch controls the brake lights and it also sends a signal to the Shift Interlock telling it to release when the brake pedal is depressed. Inspect the electrical connector and wire harness to the switch for any loose, broken or damaged wires. Inspect the switch mount and contact points for any broken or misaligned parts. If the visual inspection checks ok, replace the Brake Light Switch will solve both problems. Please do the right thing and remember to leave a rating using the stars at the top right of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited for this Q&A. You can ask follow-up questions even after you rate or accept.