Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2006 matrix mysterious no start. Im on a road trip and stoped…

Customer Question
2006 matrix mysterious no start...
2006 matrix mysterious no start. Im on a road trip and stoped for dinner. Get in turn the key power looks good but won't start no clicking no chugging just nothing. I ask for a jump and it doesn't help. I check all the fuses that are all are good. Car sits overnight at mechanics and when mechanic shows up and starts the car. Turns on and off several times to be safe. Sends me on my way. I drive 30 min stop and now I have the same issue. (If it helps there is a small tick at the fuse box and a slight hum if I hold the key in start position.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Toyota
*just nothing. = power but no sound of engine trying to start
6/5/2015
Toyota Mechanic: Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Based on your description it sounds like the starter solenoid has a flat spot or is going bad. If you turn the key rapidly from on to the start position multiple times in a row quickly you may be able to catch it and get it just continue to start. The other option is turn the key to the start position and hold it there and take a hammer or a long prybar and bang on the starter solenoid while the key is in the start position if the starter engages and spins the engine over you'll probably find the starter has to be replaced. It is a fairly common failure given the age. Let me know how it goes and we can continue from here.