Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pickup: I have a 1990 toyota p/u with 3.0 engine. When my…

Customer Question
I have a 1990 toyota...
I have a 1990 toyota p/u with 3.0 engine. When my son went to start it yesterday he just got a click....reminded me of a dead battery. Just replaced the battery, starter and both pos and neg cables. After all this went to start it and got the same click with no cranking.....just a click
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Toyota
6/2/2015
Toyota Mechanic: Dj, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and thank you for trusting us with your question. I'm DJ.
Here's how the starter circuit works.
Power comes from the battery through two large fuses, AM1 and ALT.
Power then goes to the ignition switch.
From there it goes through the starter relay if the truck is a manual transmission. If it's an automatic transmission, power goes through the neutral start switch.
Then power goes to the starter solenoid. None of the parts in this circuit can handle the 125 amps that the starter motor requires to turn. So when power is applied to the solenoid, the solenoid becomes and electromagnet and pulls a lever which engages the teeth of the starter motor into the flywheel ring gear.
At the same time, when the solenoid reaches the end of it's stroke, there are two contacts that run power from the large positive battery cable to the starter motor.
If everything is working, the starter motor turns the engine.
When you hear the click, where is the click coming from? Does the click come from the area near your left foot under the dash or does it come from the starter motor area? Is it just a tiny click, or more like a loud clunk?
If this is an automatic, have you tried to start the truck in neutral?
Please let me know and we'll figure this out without replacing any more parts.
DJ