Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

L/C Prado: . I have a 1996 Toyota L/C Prado (JDM) with the…

Customer Question
Hi. I have a 1996...
Hi. I have a 1996 Toyota L/C Prado (JDM) with the 3.4L V6 engine. The problem I'm experiencing is that when I try to restart the engine after it has warmed up, it stalls immediately. In the morning the engine starts and runs perfectly. It also starts ok when it has been left to cool down for a long time. However, when I try to start it when it is hot it cranks normally and stalls immediately. Even after many attempts. Sometimes when hot I have to depress the accelerator pedal and then it will start and run but as soon as I release the accelerator pedal it stalls.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Toyota
6/2/2015
Toyota Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
The first thing you'll want to do is check for fault codes but it sounds as if you are experiencing vapor lock.
When you park the vehicle with the engine hot, the high underhood heat will keep fuel pressure in the rail elevated, sometimes to the point of boiling. If the check valve in the fuel pump is week this can allow fuel to be pushed back to the tank, leaving high pressure vapor in the rail. This will cause a hard start until the engine cools down enough that the vapor will collapse allowing the fuel pump to push liquid fuel back in the rail.
sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician