Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

4runner V8: I have a 2004 4 runner with the 4.7 liter V8.

Customer Question

I have a 2004 4 runner with the 4.7 liter V8. Got some water in the gas. I want to try to disconnect the fuel line to let some of the water (now of course on the bottom of the gas tank) out so hopefully I can get to the good gas. I already put some heet in. Is there a way to do this?
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just went under the 4runner and see the fuel lines (it looks like a couple) coming out of the care, and running up to the fuel injection rail. Would it be stupid to try to release the fuel line at a connection point, or is it possible? If so, where?
Thanks.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for posting
Other than removing the gas tank to get all the water out you can remove the line coming from the tank and activate the fuel pump to pump the water into a bucket until fuel comes out, then you will still have to get the water out of the fuel rail, you can probably do this reconnecting the fuel line and with the spark plugs out until the fuel pushes the water through the injectors or manually clean the fuel rails out or use compressed air.
You can make the fuel pump run by removing the circuit opening relay in the box under the hood and using a jumper wire with the key on, if you'd like to try this I can send you a diagram of which terminals to jumper.
By the way, how did water get in the tank and how much do you estimate is in there?
http://s10.postimg.org/v7p18kz8p/img017.jpg
please copy this url into your browser
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. How and where do I remove the fuel line coming from the tank? Up by the fuel rail or right as it is coming out of the tank? I had about 22 gallons of fresh gas in my tank when I put about 2 gallons of gas from an outboard motor tank into my 4 runner's gas tank. I don't know, but am guessing that the outboard gas tank had about 1.5 gallons of pretty fresh gas, about a cup of later - maybe a bit more - and of course a very small amount of 2 cycle oil.
Thanks for the reply
Remove the line at the fuel rail, the small amount of pre-mix fuel shouldn't be a problem, there might be a little smoke from the exhaust for a while, it's already mixed with the other gas so to get rid of that you'd have to pump the entire tank out, the water is also a small mount but will not mix and settle on the bottom, it shouldn't take very long to get this cleared out.