Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Highlander: , I have a 2010 Highlander 2.7ltr. Since 2 weeks

Customer Question
Hi, I have a 2010...
Hi, I have a 2010 Highlander 2.7ltr.
Since 2 weeks my idle stalls changed plugs and air filter but still same issue.
Safi chicago
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
5/25/2015
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 2 years ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Thanks for posting

Unless the check engine light is on most stalling or low idle conditions on these engines is caused by a dirty/contaminated throttle body, mostly due to excessive carbon that is built up causing the throttle plate to not return to it's original position. In most cases the remedy is to clean the inside of the throttle body using an intake air cleaner or throttle body cleaner in a spray can and using a brush to clean all the carbon out, the battery should be disconnected while doing this.

Please let me know if the check engine light stays on because my answer will be different.

Hi Ted,

Do you think of any other causes, because I cleaned throttle body good. But still the same issue feels like engine is going to die on idle.

Thank you.

Thanks for the update,

It's kind of difficult to say what else it could be if there is no check engine light or diagnostic code information, does it stall at idle all the time or more when cold?

These days temperatures are pretty steady. It stalls all the time, sometimes does more like about to die.

Thanks,

Check for any vacuum hoses under the hood that may be disconnected, especially to the air filter and from the intake system, did this start after getting fuel the last time?

Just to make surecould you get the computer scanned to see if there may be any information at all? Most autoparts stores do this for free.

Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech