Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Camry LE 4 cyl.: - I have a 1995 camry 4 Litre. AC PROBLEM: AC

Customer Question
Hi- I have a 1995 camry...
Hi-
I have a 1995 camry 4 Litre.
AC PROBLEM:
AC works perfectly for a while - time varies here. Then green ac dash light starts flashing and air gets warm.
If I turn AC off and restart, AC runs perfectly again for 2-10 minutes before shutting off again.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
5/24/2015
Toyota Mechanic: Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician replied 2 years ago
Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Hi and thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today. I am sorry to hear that this is happening. Is this the original compressor on the vehicle or has it been replaced in the past?
Probably original. I bought car at 65k miles - which I believe was accurate.
Car now has 127k. I have not replaced compressor and I have no info about prior service on AC system.
I see. Now I will have to take your word for it but you will want to make sure that the drive belt for the a/c compressor is tight. Also check and see that all the connection at the compressor are secure and connected. If they are, then the problem will be the compressor itself.What happens on these, and the reason that the a/c light flashes, is that the a/c amplifier(the ECU) compares the rpm's of the engine and the compressor to see if the drive belt is slipping. Obviously if they two rpm's don't match, then the amplifier 'see's' that the belt is slipping, like you drove through a water puddle, and turn the power off to the coil/clutch and vlinks the a/c light to warn you that the belt is slipping. In this case, the signal from the compressor revolution sensor is cutting in/out and the amplifier thinks that the belt is slipping when it isn't. Does that make sense?
Yes-
So should I replace compressor or can I replace
amplifier?
Not the amplifier. The compressor.
Oh. So you think its the revolution sensor in the compressor.
Yes but they aren't sold separately from the compressor so the compressor itself will need to be replaced. Besides it's most likely the original one on the car.
I'm not sure what happened but I hope you saw my posted response. I am here to help and strive to give Excellent service. If you have any more questions about this, please ask.
Thanks. I got last mssg.
Sounds like I need a compressor.
Great! I am glad to see that you got it and was worried when I saw Moderator step in. Thanks again and let me know if there is anything else you need. :)
Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu