Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

How install/access/replace hid bulbs toyota avalon 2008 li

Customer Question
how to install/access/replace hid bulbs...

how to install/access/replace hid bulbs toyota avalon 2008 limited

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
5/21/2015
Toyota Mechanic: Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Click this link and save the information to your computer. You will see in the illustration the large plastic cap that fits over the back of the headlight assembly. It turns counterclockwise and then removes. It can be difficult to turn sometimes because the rubber O-ring has a tendency to stick to the plastic what I have done is use a screwdriver to wedge between the cap and the housing and spray was silicone spray or even light carburetor cleaner will soften up the O-ring against the plastic to allow to turn freely. Once that's removed you will see the clamp that holds the HID headlight in place. Remove the electrical connector and remove the two locking tabs on the clamp and remove the HID bulb do not touch the HID bulb with your fingers when reinstalling it will damaged the bulb on it heats up. On the driver side is easiest to remove the battery to get to the back of the headlight on the passenger side it's pretty straightforward remove any plastic panels you need to get to it. The link will time out. Let me know when you have it.

i dont see the link. i do know where to access the bulbs (low beams) my questions was is there a way to access them because of the limited space when opening the hood. the drivers side you are describing is to access the (drl/high beam bulb) when removing the battery. the low beams plastic caps are both to the edge of both fenders.

I'm not sure why the link did not attach click this link and download the illustration. Once you see the large plastic caps and how they come off it will make sense you shouldn't have an issue getting to the low beam HID bulbs behind this plastic lid. Let me know when you see it.
The plastic shield that runs across the top of the radiator in between the two headlights has little round plastic pop clips push the center of the pop clip down to it snaps then release the pop clip and remove that plastic shield that should give you enough room to get to the back of the headlights. I thought you had this removed already.

i removed the plastic shield and the steel frame that runs across the engine bay is blocking so that is not an option.

Let me see if I get some better pictures tomorrow and post them.

ok thanks i will wait for your pictures.

ok
The one that we have on the lot does not have HID but the body is the same and access to the back of the headlight is the same it is directly in front of the washer bottle filler neck. The illustration that I had you download shows the back of the headlight and should be accessible.

i was unable to do it myself. i have done my camry 2009 without any problems. i brought it to a different dealership not toyota.

Skyvisions
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician