Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

LX470: I have a Lexus lx470, after it rains - few minutes later

Customer Question

I have a Lexus lx470, after it rains - few minutes later the tail lights and running lights come on and stay on. Only way to turn them off is pull fuse. Assuming it is relay or ground issue - only happens in heavy rain
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 2 years ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you.
This sounds to me like you are getting moisture inside a unit called the 'integration relay' (IR for short). The IR is a power distribution device; it is attached to the back side of the fuse panel under the instrument panel. There is power in the IR at all times. If it gets wet, corrosion will build up indie the IR and the corrosion will allow a circuit to 'bridge' to another circuit, which will power it up.
The first thing to do here when the light come of for no reason is to tap hard on the fuse panel. The tapping may jar the corrosion loose. If that does not do anything, you are probably going to need to have the integration relay on the back side of the fuse panel replaced.
We see thsi quite a bit in the shop. Hard rains, coupled with a leaking windshield, clogged sunroof drains, poor body sealing at the driver side body area. poor body sealing at the cowl panel, etc all can cause the IR to get wet.
This is what I would be looking for if this vehicle was in my shop. Corrosion on the IR. The down side here is the entire fuse panel needs to be removed in order to access the IR unit. This is not a job for one who is not skilled with fuse panel removal.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reply
Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry. Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The fuse box is inside the engine compartment. I did have a leaking windshield, but that would not have hit the fuse box. With the LX460, with fuse inside engine compartment, still sound like IR issue?
I am speaking about the fuse panel under the dashboard, not in the engine compartment. The vehicle has 2 fuse panels.,, one under the hood and the other inside the auto under the dash
If you do have a leaking windshield, this is what is causing the problem....rain water entering the body thru the windshield leak is getting inside the integration relay under the instrument panel
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thanks for assistance.
Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.
A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.
Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer