Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Toyota Tacoma, 2.7, 4x4: I have a 2000 Toyota Tacoma 4wd, extended

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Toyota Tacoma 4wd, extended cab, manual shift, 2.7L with 163,000 miles. I have only had it a short time. It has a slight oil leak at the front of the engine which I think is in the vicinity of the oil pump?
The main problem however is that the engine has a pronounced ticking sound that is worse when cold, seems to go away when at high RPM, usually but not ALWAYS returns at idle.
Here is the bad part. twice now when the engine is warm, I have started it and the ticking is more pronounced. It will drive, but will engine will quit when I let up on the accelerator. It will restart when I let the clutch out and compression start it. If I stop and let the engine sit for a couple minutes it will then start and run fine, as if nothing happened. Yesterday this happened, I was in traffic when it quit as when I pushed in the clutch, I let out the clutch to compression start and the tires skidded as if the engine was locked up. Again I let it sit and it restarted fine. I pulled into a parking lot, let it sit for a few minutes more with the engine shut down. I then restarted and the engine ran fine and I drove the truck 45 miles home. Except for for these incidents and the leak, the truck runs fine, idles fine, and develops full power.
The leak, the ticking noise, and the problem just described may not be related. I think the leak is separate issue. This can't be a one-off, I would bet it is a known issue.
Thanks.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 2 years ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you.
I have been working on the 2.7 liter Tacoma engines since they were introduced in 1995. I cannot remember any instances of an oil pump failure. We have had issues with the oil pickup tubes cracking (this causes the pump to suck air); we have had issues with carbon buildup inside the pickup screen, and sludge issues. If this vehicle was in my shop, I would be recommending to you that we pull the oil pan off and inspect the pickup tube and screen. I believe that this is the best place to start any diagnosis with regard to the issue that you have.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reply
Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry. Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Number 1 ......So I believe what your saying is the engine is starving for oil. Correct? So replacing or cleaning the oil sump tube could be the cure? ......Number 2....The oil pump cover as a possible leak is a red herring.........I just want to stop the leak, and wanted second opinion and wondered if that is a probable source for the leak. It leaks from somewhere low on the left front of the engine as you face it from the front.....What do you think?...........Number 3.......Is the ticking sound from the engine significant? .......What causes it???? .... Is it related to the oil pickup tube?
Number 1 ......So I believe what your saying is the engine is starving for oil. Correct? So replacing or cleaning the oil sump tube could be the cure?
Yes. If the engine is starving for oil, this will cause the clicking noise
Number 2....The oil pump cover as a possible leak is a red herring.........I just want to stop the leak, and wanted second opinion and wondered if that is a probable source for the leak. It leaks from somewhere low on the left front of the engine as you face it from the front.....What do you think?
This sounds more like a timing cover gasket/sealant issue, or a front crank seal...........
Number 3.......Is the ticking sound from the engine significant? .......What causes it???? .... Is it related to the oil pickup tube?
Any ticking sound that is NOT the injector ticking is cause for concern. If the oil pickup is cracked, or the screen is clogged, you have sludge, etc, the last thing that gets lubricated are the camshafts. The cranks gets all of the lube first. If you have oil starvation, you have camshaft wear problems on the horizon.
Get the pan off. Remove the pickup tube and inspect if for debris. Hols your finger over the end that connects to the oil pump and pour gasoline into the pickup screen, filling the pickup tube fully; take care to not spill it.. Look for signs of gasoline leaking out of the pipe anyplace, if you see gas seeping out, discard the tube and get a new one with a new gasket and install it.