Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I have a 2008 Tundra 5.7L and will have to replace the battery.

Customer Question
Reading a Chilton's manual, it...
I have a 2008 Tundra 5.7L and will have to replace the battery. Reading a Chilton's manual, it says if the battery cable is disconnected, a "re-initialization" has to be accomplished. I can't find the re-initialization in the manual. What exactly is the process?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
5/5/2015
Toyota Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 2 years ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
HI, The only initialization required after battery replacement is for the navigation unit if equipped(see attached from Toyota field service manual), and that is ONLY if the navigation disc is not inserted in the navigation unit at the time of battery replacement. If it was in the unit, then there is no initialization process required Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. ThanksIf for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Can you please re-attach the re-initialization in it's entirety? I see instructions the instructions you mentioned which covers the navigation system, but there are other reasons for initialization.
HI,
Sure, give me a moment. You just asked for the initialization for battery. The rest are for ecu replacement and other parts replacement. Give me just a moment
Hi, Ok, all the initialization procedures and when they are needed are below pdf file format. They are quite long, and you will note that EVERY initialization procedure besides for the battery REQUIRES a Techstream Toyota scan tool and software Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. ThanksIf for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
I didn't realize the initialization was that extensive. A reason for replacing the battery is that the alternator failed leading up to a battery disconnect. After removal of the alternator (sat 2wks waiting for part) and replacement, now getting random multiple misfire which wasn't the case prior to changing the alt. I suspected the initialization as described in Chilton's Manual would steer me in the right direction.
HI,
Ok, it is possible that there was either slight spike in voltage to the coils or injectors, or that idle memory was lost while it sat for 2 weeks.
Disconnect the battery cables and touch the cable ends together for 1 minute for hard reset of the computer. Reconnect and with all accessories off, crank engine and allow to idle for 3 minutes without touching the gas or brake pedals. Turn off engine for 60 seconds and then restart and take for 10 mile test drive at varying speeds from 15mph to 65mph. This should relearn all parameters.
If still having the misfires, then the coils and injectors will need to be tested.
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
It's weird, Immediately after installing the alternator and firing up, a rough idle was noticeable and initially pulled codes P0300B, P0306, P0307& P0308. Swapped coils with known good ones and now, the only codes that didn't show up were P0304 and P0308. All this after a simple alternator change. Scanner is a 5.0 EVO.
HI,
Because the coils have a 5v reference signal, 12v feed and ground, it is possible to get a slight voltage spike that can damage them. Doesnt happen often, but I have encountered it on a few occasions.
Is there a resistance test for the coils?
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager