Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

I've got a 2007 Yaris just bought used told it had a new clutch

Customer Question

I've got a 2007 Yaris just bought used told it had a new clutch has 104Kmiles 1st gear makes a grinding and clunky sound
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 2 years ago.
Hello, thanks for postingDoes it also make the grinding noise going into reverse?Is there any noise while driving?Is there difficulty shifting into other gears?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No it doesn't happen with reverse.

It drives well. Sometimes the shifting is difficult.

Ok, thanks, ***** ***** is no problem shifting into reverse the clutch is not the problem, it could be an internal transmission problem like a shift fork or shift sleeve or synchronizer ring that is worn fo the first gear.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well this is supposed to have had a new clutch. Do you think it just needs to be lubed since I think it sat ourside for a while.

I understand that but if there is no problem shifting into reverse the clutch is not the problem, the only thing I could recommend at this time is to maybe change the transmission oil and see if that helps.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

alright I thought I got to pay $5 for a sample but PayPal has taken $20 from me. That seems a lot for a vague answer.

I don't think my answer is vague, the problem is internal to the transmission, it is not the clutch. I have no control over what you are charged.