Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

TomI have a lengthy story line to my 4 runner issue.

Customer Question
Hi Tom I have a lengthy...
Hi Tom
I have a lengthy story line to my 4 runner issue. Purchased a 99 4R, v6. Ran fine initially. 2 weeks into the purchase the fuel pump croaked. Replaced the fuel pump along with a new fuel filter and a new air filter. The tank had about a 1/4 tank of fuel during the pump replacement. Drove to the station to fill the tank and added fuel to 3/4 tank. Car ran fine for about 2 miles. I got home and noticed gas running out of the bottom of the Charcoal Canister through a rubber line that was affixed to the car frame . Removed the Gas cap and the fuel stopped running. I drove the Car and ran out that thank of gas without a gas cap. Of course the engine check light came on. Refueled the car and replaced the gas cap with a new cap from Toyota. Drove a few miles and the car started hesitating and stalled out. Fuel was again running through the tube from the Canister. Removed the gas cap started the car and it ran fine after a few sputters. Drove home 10 miles and noticed that the check engine light had gone out. Once I reached a half tank the next day the check engine light appeared again. I put the Gas Cap back on and after about 2 miles the car began to sputter again. So I removed the Gas Cap and the car runs fine. I made the pump repairs myself. All the lines are correct. The fuel filter is located properly. Thinking I may have a solenoid issue inside the canister or perhaps a pressure sensor fault somewhere. The local parts store checked the engine light and they say it it the catalytic converter. Thanks for your help.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
5/2/2015
Toyota Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central. Thanks Chris
HI I believe its going to be a faulty EVAP system vent valve on the tank that is supposed to be preventing fuel from getting in the line that sucks up the fuel tank vapors.- - It may take me 1-2-3-etc... responses to get the information I need resulting in giving you the answer you need. I can't read minds nor have a magic wand, & I'm not there to see, smell, feel, or hear so I need good information to return a good answer. My normal hours online are 3pm-3am. There are 2 services your receiving 1: from Just Answer whom has already collected the deposit/question value 2: from me (not an employee of the website & have no control over anything except what I type.) You will be asked to RATE THE SERVICE, your rating me, my response, not the website, rating has no effect on your payment, and it DOES NOT close the post. A rating IS REQUIRED, if you can't complete the required rating today, let me know why so I can get you exactly what's needed.Thanks Chris
Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician