Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I can't get my 1998 toyota camry out of park.

Customer Question

I can't get my 1998 toyota camry out of park. Car starts, step on brake, still will not shift.  How can i fix it, or is it a damaged transmission.

Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 2 years ago.
Hello, thanks for postingAre the brake lights working?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not sure. I am currently not with the car. What does that indicate? My tackometer on the dash is not working (new). Temp gage is working. I installed a new battery on the chance it was electrical.

If the brae lights are not working the cars computer determines that the brake is not applied, in that case the shift interlock system is enabled and you can not shift out of park so please have someone help you check to see if the brake lights are working and get back to me, thanks.
If the brake lights are not working check the fuse in the fuse panel at the left lower dash behind the over, check or replace the fuse marked 'stop'
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I know the brake light bulb is out at least on one side. Does that qualify as not working.
Let's make sure that they both work, they may now not both be working.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does that mean I need to change the bulb. It is a closed unit, and very costly
One bulb out won't cause it to not shift out of park, only if none of the stoplights are working, this is why I need to be sure what the status of the stoplights is.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok. will get back to you.
Sounds good.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So here is the update. There are so many electrical subsystems that I think there is some circuit breaker or fuses that have gone bad. Electric windows, door locks from the inside door, break lights, tackometer do not work. What is my next step. Do I need to get it towed to a shop?
I believe there are some fuses that are blown, if you feel like you want to deal with locating the bad fuses it would help to have a 12 volt test light so the fuses can be checked with the key in the on position. Check all of them on the inside fuse panel as well as under the hood. I would start under the hood, check the AM1 and the AM2 fuses they are usually 30 or 40 amp and supply almost all electrical current to the engine and body through the ignition switch.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am having trouble identifying a document detailed enough to show what fuses are for what peripheral. Can you recommend one? The documents that I have found say where the fuse boxes are. They do not provide the map for what fuse powers with peripheral. Do I test every fuse with the 12 volt test light?
Hello, the fuse diagram and designations should be inside the fuse covers or on the back of the panel that pulls out of the dash. Yes check all fuses but first check the two fuses I mentioned in the box under the hood, these must have voltage , you can remove the clear plastic cover and probe the filament inside to see if voltage is getting there, these supply power to the ignition switch then to the ignition system and the body electrical system. When checking the smaller fuses be sure to touch the test light probe to both of the metal tabs on top of the fuses, a good fuse wll have voltage on both sides.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is a fusible block assy. Do I test that as well, or is that not part of this process.
Yes, check the fusible block, the other fuses get power from it, this is usually an 80 or 100 amp fuse and is also called the alternator fuse. The clear cover on it can also be removed.