Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

solara: Need second opinion. Cant put gas in the car, it cuts…

Need second opinion. Can't put...
Need second opinion. Can't put gas in the car, it cuts the pump off. New filler neck installed but does the same. The canister is open.
8/10/2014
Toyota Mechanic: AMD, Toyota Certified replied 8 years ago
AMD
AMD, Toyota Certified
AMD :

Hello and thank you for trusting us with your Toyota question, My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.

AMD :

Are you available to discuss your question at this time?

Customer:

Yes

AMD :

Hello! How are you doing today?

Customer:

Ok

AMD :

Now if I may ask, you said the canister is open ,can you elaborate further on this?

Customer:

I put a couple of pounds of air in the tank and it seemed to be free flowing from the large port on the canister. And the air was extremely hot coming through.

AMD :

OK Likely the issue here is in the canister, even though it flows air, it could still be restrictive to the very low pressure vapor getting pushed when you are filling the car up.

AMD :

If you want to try to disconnect the canister and try to fill up the car with fuel that should allow you to fill up

AMD :

but just try it for a bit and don't fill up the car because you will overfill the tank this way

Customer:

The one thing I don't know how to check - There is a small metal tube running up the filler neck that turns to rubber about 8" from the tank, and one a little bigger that turns to rubber and appears to go to the top of the tank. How do I test that line?

AMD :

If that line is clogged it will actually cause the pump never to stop and not the other way around.

Customer:

It seems I can blow air in that line but it doesn't seem to come back out of that line.

AMD :

that line is the vapor return line, it routes vapors back to the neck for the pump to click off

Customer:

The canister flow much more easily than what it takes to lift the ball on the fill check valve.

AMD :

Can you try to disconnect the canister and see if you can fill up?

AMD :

That is how you really test it, flowing air through doesn't really tell us anything.

Customer:

Yes, I will go try that.

AMD :

OK Let me know what you find.

Customer:

Ok, I have some info. I did not take the car to the gas station but I did put gas in it from a jug. I have a free flowing jug for the race car. It filled the neck up and came out the top. I then pulled the vent line and tried it again. This time it did not back up in the filler neck. This does point to the canister but not 100% to the charcoal to me. Is there any other tube/vent/ etc. associated with the canister that can cause this? or anything that can be done?

Customer:

The purge solenoid could not cause this??

Customer:

Because it has code P0441.

AMD :

I Think the issue here is 100% the canister. Code p0441 could be related to the canister. start by replacing the canister and see if p0441 comes back. also check the filler neck, take the gas cap and look at the surface, if you see rust replace the filler neck as well and the gas cap. if not then the canister should do.

AMD :

Did you have any other questions for me today?

Customer:

On further testing, the charcoal in the canister is free flowing. There is an air piloted valve on the outlet port of the canister that is not opening. It has a very small line running to it from another valve mounted on the canister and if I pull that line off, it free flows from the canister.

AMD :

That is part of the canister and not a replaceable part as far as I know, Can I have your VIN no. so I can check if it comes seperate?

Customer:

I can give you the vin but that valve works. I believe there is some other air signal it should have to open because it does open when I pull the small line. Just don't worry about it, I will accept your answer and try to figure out what it is missing.

AMD :

I still think you need a canister, more than 9 out of 10 times when you have a gas tank that doesn't take gas it's a canister.

Customer:

ok

AMD
AMD, Toyota Certified