Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Camry: My car is locked up. Before I call the dealership, is…

My car is locked up...
My car is locked up. Before I call the dealership, is there anything I can do to get it unlocked. I locked the steering wheel last night and now I cant move the key, steering wheel or the shifter.

I have a 2000 Toyota Camry XLE V6.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/25/2014
Toyota Mechanic: Jay Champagne, Toyota Master Diag. Tech. replied 8 years ago
Jay Champagne
Jay Champagne, Toyota Master Diag. Tech.

Jay Champagne :

Hi, I can help you with your issue. Is this the first time this has occurred?

Customer:

Yes it is.

Customer:

Happened last night I guess. Woke up and it was locked up.

Jay Champagne :

If you have had no prior issues with the key, I suspect the steering lock is bound up. Are the wheels straight ahead or turned?

Customer:

Turned

Customer:

I'd say 11 o'clock

Jay Champagne :

Ok, try to turn the steering wheel hard in that direction when turning the key. You shouldn't have to turn the key hard, maybe jiggle it a little.

Customer:

I love you

Jay Champagne