Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota 4Runner SR5: I have a 97 4runner SR5, 3.4 liter, AC,

I have a 97 4runner...
I have a 97 4runner SR5, 3.4 liter, AC, cruise, 4WD etc. Problem, when I step on the brakes the left turn signal comes on but is not flashing. If I take my foot off the brake & turn the blinker on all the tail lights including brakes & upper brake flash. This only happens on the left blinker. I have replaced all bulbs, the blinker handle on the column & the the brake switch with no luck. The truck has 276,000 miles on it & works great otherwise. It is also wired for trailer lights BTW. I dont know what to look for at this point.
2/15/2014
Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician

Dj :

Dj :

Check the ground connection on the left rear of the truck. Take out the tail light assembly and if I remember correctly, you'll have to take the left rear plastic panel off to get to it, but if I remember incorrrectly, you just have to take out the tail light assembly.

Dj :

It could also be the black box that breaks up the signal for your trailer lights, but I expect the problem is the ground connection.

Customer:

Hi, not really a techi type so I type slow. What should i look for next

Dj :

The ground wire is white with a black stripe. If this doesn't have a good connection to the body of the truck, you'll get what we call a 'floating ground.'

Customer:

Ok i'll check that & let you know. I'll be back!

Dj :

The ground is held to the body with a 6 mm bolt which is a 10 mm wrench size.

Dj :

OK,

Dj :

I'll be offline for a couple of hours but I'll be back on this evening.

Customer:

DJ, the problem is fixed. When I opened up the back, the ground was good but the trailer lights were plugged in st the same place. I unplugged the trailer lights & reconnected the factory connectors & the problem went away immediately. Thanks for at least guiding me to the right spot.

Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician