Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Toyota Sienna XLE: I have a 2000 Toyota Sienna XLE with spark

I have a 2000 Toyota...
I have a 2000 Toyota Sienna XLE with spark on all cylinders but a P0302 code. The cylinder 2 injector is not pulsing.
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/19/2014
Dan, Technician
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem solved. Have you checked to see if it is power or ground that is missing from injector? Thanks.

I am mechanically inclined and love electronics so don't get concerned with my answer. How do I check?

Just checked if there was continuity between either of the wires and ground. The red/black wire has continuity.

You will need to use a voltmeter or test light. The black/red wire at injector should have power with key on, if not follow wire to find damage. If good use a led test light to see if red wire has ground pulse while trying to start or running, if not the red wire gets pulse from pin 6D of PCM. So next step would be to see if PCM is providing pulse, if so you know the red wire between PCM and injector is bad, if no pulse you know the PCM has failed. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Not sure if my response went through. The red/black has power and the red has pulse with the car running. The way I checked for spark on cylinder two was by pulling out the coil a little to hear the spark.

In your original question you said "The cylinder 2 injector is not pulsing", now it is. What makes you think it wasn't pulsating before? Thanks.

the car is running rough, the code was P0302, so I disconnected the #2 injector to see if the car sound changed at all. It didn't, which made me think the injector isn't working. I also had a P1300 code last week which went away, which made me think it was wiring. I just bought a test light. I've never checked for pulse before today. So is it just a bad injector?

Did you check for spark on cylinder 2 and check compression?

I checked for spark only by pulling up on the coil about 1" while the car was running. I could hear the spark sound. I don't know how to check for compression. I just swapped spark plugs and no difference.

You can barrow a compression tester from your local parts store which insert into spark plug hole. Check compression while turning over engine for about 3 seconds and compare to other cylinders, if good then I agree the injector is problem.

cylinder 2 has 30 pounds. Tested it three times. The cylinder to the right of it has 100 pounds. Tested twice, 85 the first time 100 pounds the second time. So what could be wrong?

The rough running started at the end of a 40 mile trip on the expressway. The car was fine before that. No overheating or anything else. The car has run fine for years. Other than it having a sludge problem which was accompanied by a large amount of smoke coming from the tailpipe when it was started. I fixed it by taking off the valve covers (the baffle was caked with hardened oil, the consistency of plastic) and cleaning them by soaking them in paint remover for a week, completely submerged. I also scooped out all the gunk I could with my hands. When the (like new) valve covers were put back on the car was fine and we also switched to synthetic. The car hasn't smoked or had a problem since. I believe the baffle inside the valve cover WAS the issue, as soon as it was slightly blocked by a small amount the system no longer worked as it was engineered.

When we were driving I heard nothing and felt nothing. As soon as we got off the expressway I noticed when we were idling at the stop light that the car was running rough.

I have now permanently disconnected the injector for cylinder 2. It was connected for the last week. Hopefully nothing has been damaged.

This points toward a valve problem, next step is a cylinder leak down test. Compression isXXXXXtoo low and this can only be valves or piston rings which are unlikely, either way engine will need to be pulled apart.

To help me understand whether I can do this myself. I'll first tell you a few of the repairs I've done on the 2000 Sienna and my 2001 Camry.

Waterpump, Knock Sensor, Timing Belt, Alternator, Sludge issue, Brakes, Exhaust repairs, VSV Valves.

Perhaps the best way for you to tell me if I can do it, is to describe the uncommon tools that I would need and the time. Also, if you could describe what the best case scenario is and how many hours I should set aside to do it. Keep in mind that it is winter and I don't have a garage the car can be pulled into.

Why would the valve problem happen all of a sudden with no prior symptoms?

BTW I could smell unburned fuel in the engine compartment even though the injector connector for cylinder 2 has been removed. Is this a clue to what is wrong (ie which valves).

Thank you so much for your help. This is the first time I've used any service like this and I'm very happy.

That doesn't help identify which valves has failed, you will need to pull head to check. It is a pretty huge job, 17 hours labor. Here are replacement instructions, the only tool you REALLY need is a torque wrench but based on what you have done it sounds like something you can handle. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

-

https://db.tt/xiLDi65c

-

https://db.tt/cyLpWEst

Dan, Technician
Dan, Technician