Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota RAV4 4x4: My oil light comes on even though the fluid…

My oil light comes on...
My oil light comes on even though the fluid level is good and also the check engine and VSC track light. I get a reading saying p0012 the book says it is the cam shaft my husband thinks it is the oil control valve what do you think.
the make is toyota rav4 2004
1/2/2014
AMD
AMD, Toyota Certified

AMD :

Hello and thank you for trusting us with your Toyota question, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

AMD :

Are you available to discuss your question at this time?

Customer:

yes I am

AMD :

Hello! how are you doing today?

Customer:

fine thank you and you

AMD :

I'm doing well thank you.

AMD :

If I may ask, how many miles on the vehicle?

Customer:

167000

AMD :

OK How often was the oil changed before?

AMD :

Did you own the vehicle for a long time?

Customer:

every 3 - 6 000 miles

AMD :

OK I See. Well we have 2 possibilities here

AMD :

First you could have an oil sludge issue from age that's clogging the oil pump screen causing the oil light to come on and causing the oil control valve not to work properly because it's clogged.

AMD :

A good test to verify this would be to check the oil pressure when the oil light is on

Customer:

I have owned the vehicle since 2006 and haven't had a problem with it. I did add miracle oil last week when my oil light came on

AMD :

OK If I may ask, are you working on the vehicle by yourself? or planning to take it to a mechanic?

Customer:

my husband has been working on vehicles for a while he thought it was the OCV but I was looking for an expert opinion. when I turn the engine off theoil light goes off after sitting for a while when I restart the vehicle

AMD :

OK I See. Now is the vehicle sounding normal?

Customer:

Yes it is still quiet and runs normal I don't hear the tapping If the oil screen is not clogged would that mean the OCV is bad.

AMD :

OK If you only had the code I would say yes start with an ocv valve, But since you have the oil light, I would measure the oil pressure before I invest any money into the car. If the oil pressure checks out normal then likely you have a faulty oil pressure sender and at that point yes I would start with an OCV valve, if this doesn't resolve the issue then you are looking at a new VVT gear and timing chain. But an OCV valve is more likely to be the issue.

AMD :

Did you have any other questions for me today?

Customer:

No we will check out those problems first can I get back to you if those things check are OK?

AMD :

Yes you can get back to me by bookmarking this page.

AMD :

A positive rating for my input would be greatly appreciated.

AMD :

Thank you for choosing justanswer.com

Customer:

Thank you for your expert advice It gives us a sound direction to look in.

AMD :

You're welcome. Have a wonderful day.

AMD
AMD, Toyota Certified