Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Toyota Corolla: Taillights stuck on. I came out of store tonigh

Taillights stuck on. I came...
Taillights stuck on. I came out of store tonigh and noticed it drove home turned lights off and on jigggled parking brake and foot brake but they wont go off. Headlights go off and on fine
10/24/2013
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Toyota Service :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you by discussing your request in further detail; thanks

Toyota Service :

Please allow me to ask a question....the taillamps stay on....does this include the license plate lamp? Thanks

Customer:

no those only come on if you turn on teh lights. also when you press the brake nothing changes, its the brake lights stuck I think. the brake light in the rear window is on also

Toyota Service :

Ok. The brake lamps are staying on. That is what I needed to know, so I did not give you the wrong information

Toyota Service :

This sounds very much like a failed brake lamp switch.

Toyota Service :

In order to save the battery from draining, can you go to the car, look under the driver side of the dash, and locate the fuse panel?

Toyota Service :

We need to remove the top left 15 amp fuse, thsi is the brake light fuse. once removed, the brake lamps should go out

Customer:

Ok so where is thatnat maybe a digram and some instructions would be great

Toyota Service :

Directly under the dashboard, on the driver side. Farthest to the left, towards the outer side of the car. THe fuse box may or may not have a plastic cover

Toyota Service :

If it is dark where you are, a flashlight will be very helpful

Toyota Service :

While you are under the dash, look at the top of the brake pedal assembly, where it pivots. There should be a switch with a red and white wire on one terminal , and a green and white wire on the other terminal

Toyota Service :

if you unplug the wire connector, the brake lights should go out

Toyota Service :

If the lights go out (this is with the fuse still in place), we will have solved the problem, the brake switch is indeed sticking

Customer:

ok will be about 30 min or so before I can get back to this. will let you know and thanks for the quick info.

Toyota Service :

OK. You are very welcome. I will be here most of the evening; let me know how you make out thanks

Customer:

So how do I unplug it just pull it off or is thsre a catch/trick to it? Could nt seem to get it so I took out the fuse so I dont have a dead battery. How do you remove it? Just unscrew that nut on it?

Toyota Service :

It helps to remove the switch form the bracket; there is a clip that holds the connector secure

Toyota Service :

This is done to keep one from accidentally knocking the wire connector loose when hitting the brakes.

Customer:

OK that answers how to remove it. I took out the fuse to keep teh battery from dying. to remove the switch all together, do I just unscrew that nut on it? thanks again

Toyota Service :

yes unscrew the nut

Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Toyota Service
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert