Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

toyota celica: I have a 2000 toyota celica every time I try

I have a 2000 toyota celica every time I try to start it.
Hello, thanks for trusting me to help you with your vehicle today. I have over 30 years of Diagnostic experience. I look forward to working with you. do you have a code reader to check for malfunction code numbers in the engine control computer? Have you run a compression test yet on all 4 cylinders? did you check the fuel pressure?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no I did not check the fuel pressure or do a compression test on the cylinders. before I changed the oil it still ran and drove it to an auto parts store and they tested it and said the code still showed the front right o2 sensor.

do you remember the specific malfunction code number? Have you check the mass airflow sensor or have you tried to clean it? This is a huge problem on this particular car. The mass airflow sensor is mounted to the side of the air cleaner box lid with two screws. Remove the 2 screws and electrical connector and pull the sensor out of the box. Look down in the tube and locate the tiny resistors. If they're not shiny it will cause a problem. They usually will look dull and fuzzy in appearance. This drive system lean and makes it run terrible. You can clean it with mass air flow sensor cleaner or with brake cleaner. Do not touch the resistors blow dry and see what happens let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you I will, the car was in a front end collision a year ago and I had to pry the air cleaner out to replace the filter,with a pry bar when I changed the oil.

you are welcome. Make sure that you installed the correct oxygen sensor I have seen in some cases on this particular year the oxygen sensor can cause all kinds of idling in performance issues. The voltage needs to be talked going from .1 volts to .9 volts. If its spikes over one volt it will screw up the computer logic.