Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

4Runner 22R-E: 1987 4Runner, How do I diagnose why #2 and #3…

1987 4Runner, How do I...
1987 4Runner, How do I diagnose why #2 and #3 fuel injectors are not getting an electric signal to fire? I did a node test (the lights plugged into each injector terminal). Is there a grounding issue or? Note; have installed all new fuel injectors and relays.
9/30/2013
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Hello, thanks for trusting me to help you with your vehicle today. I have over 30 years of Diagnostic experience. I look forward to working with you. ARe you getting 12 volts to one side of the connector? Did you check the continuity to the computer from the other side?

The 12 volt check was next on my list. Continuity on the other side to the computer? Do you mean the other side of the injector connector to the computer? It appears your'e talking possible wire harness issues.

Yes on pin in the connector supplies 12 volts and the other side goes to the computer where it gets grounded. Make sure there is less then 1.0 ohms on the none power side. Make sure all the injectors are disconnected when testing for power and ground back to the computer.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I have more troubleshooting ahead of me.

Let me know how they check out.

Thank you for your replies, that is all I need for now.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX all for now.

You're welcome. The white wires going back to the computer should have less than 1 ohm of resistance let me know if you need anything else. The harness that goes from the intake manifold up to the inner fender well where it makes that u shape band is notorious for corrosion in the splice connectors for the injectors. Double check that.

1987 4Runner 22R-E EFI question. My connection was corroded and am unsure if what I saw was correct. It appears that the 2 solid white wires and the 2 white/red wires coming from the 4 injectors were bundled together at 1 connection to both the 1 solid white and 1 white/red wires that lead to the ECU.The connection consisted of 4 wires from the injectors connected to 2 wires going to the ECU,6 wires in 1 connection.Just doesn't seem right, but that's what I saw.

Yes that is correct they are bundles together and the corrosion is why they are not firing. Make sure you get a good clean connection and connect them back together as they are bundled now.
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician