Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The o/d off switch seems to have a short and goes on and off…

The o/d off switch seems...
The o/d off switch seems to have a short and goes on and off by itself on my 2006 Tundra.
7/30/2013
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Technician, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 years ago
Toyota Technician
Toyota Technician, ASE Certified Technician

Toyota Technician :

Hi. I can definitely help you with your problem.

Customer: How do I get to the wires to fix the short, and which wire am I looking for?
Toyota Technician :

The switch itself is bad. You need to replace the switch.

Toyota Technician :

If you need a little help replacing the switch I can guide you through the process.

Toyota Technician :

I apologize. The wire you're referring to is part of the switch assembly. You actually can get to the wire and repair it rather than replacing the switch. We sell the switch to fix the problem at the dealership in my area.

Customer:

My question is still unanswered.

Toyota Technician : I apologize. I was waiting for your response. Ok first you will need a #2 Phillips screw driver. If you turn the steering wheel 90 degrees to the right you should see a screw that attaches the plastic trim to the steering column directly behind the steering wheel. There is another screw if you turn the wheel left 90 degrees left. Remove them. Check under the lower steering column trim piece for another screw. Remove it and you should be able to separate and remove the two pieces of trim. If you look where the shifter meets the steering column you should see a wire coming out. Inspect this wire carefully and you should see a spot where the insulation was worn through causing the wire to short to ground. A piece of electrical tape should do the trick where the copper is exposed. This procedure will take about 10-15 minutes. If you need anything else or need additional help, don't hesitate to ask.
Customer:

Thanks. This is very helpful.

Toyota Technician
Hi Tracy,

I'm just following up with you to see how the wire repair for the overdrive switch is holding up. If you ever need anything else, you can request me before you log in. Just go to the "Mechanics" tab on the "Get an Answer" box and scroll down the list to "Toyota Mechanics". Then scroll to the bottom of the page to "Toyota Questions" on the right. Click any question. The following page should have a button at the top that says "Meet the Experts". Click it and the next page should have a list of experts with me somewhere in it. You may be able to do this after you log in as well. My log in takes me to different screens so I have to log out. Thanks again for allowing me to assist you and leaving the positive feedback. If you need anything else, you know where to find me.

Sincerely,
Toyota Technician
It took me about 10 minutes and it seems to have worked. Thanks.
I'm glad I could help.