Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, 32 years, diagnostic/repair / electrical specialist
13677702

Toyota Toyota Tacoma 4x4 SR5: my Toyota Tacoma 4x4 developed

my Toyota Tacoma 4x4 developed a humming in the front end. All oils are new. Old tires and worn shocks maybe?

tracker40 :

Hello, I am Randall. I will do my best to answer your question. On open road, when you hear noise the loudest, can you swerve back and forth, left and right in long gentle swerves and hear the pitch of the noise change at all./ even if slight./ ? doing this is shifting weight from right to left side

Customer:

going over drawn out humps in the road. when the suspension is working. yes

tracker40 :

what about swerving left and right. I really need to know this. Unless you are saying the noise only happens on bumps

Customer:

yes.

tracker40 :

got it, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX back shortly

Customer:

cool

Customer:

yes as in its also when swerving...

Customer:

just realized how that sounded

Customer:

noise change

tracker40 :

what you are describing is a bad or failing front wheel bearing, swerve right and noise changes? left front bearing is the problem, swerve left? nosie changes, right front bearing is the problem. Shocks will NOT make humming noises, but,, can become weak and cause tire cupping which can also sound like humming so.. you rotate the old tires and see if noise goes away or changes, If so, tires are in fact the problem and shocks could cause the tire cupping and noise. Noise the same after rotate? then I highly suspect a worn hub bearing as i previously described

Customer:

sounds good. I recently had to grease my rh hub. thanx