Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Toyota Sequoia Limited: I have2004 sequoia w/71k on it......I

I have2004 2wd sequoia...
I have2004 2wd sequoia w/71k on it......I have a "drown" noise and slight vibration that is felt in floor board and gas pedal. Seemed like a wheel bearing going bad so I replaced both to no avail....still same problem. Noise seems to be coming from front passenger side then from transmission area. And does it at all speeds when driving and continues even if shifted into neutral while driving. What could this be? What is my next step?
6/20/2013
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician

Does this happen only at certain speeds, or only above certain speeds etc?

Can you describe the drone sound and if it changes at all with speed or turning etc?
It happens at all speeds when driving. It sounds like a roaring noise......like wheel bearing going bad. It is really noticeable on smooth asphalt pavement.
Thanks.

You mentioned feeling it in the floor..... is this more pronounced in the front or the rear?
If you place the shifter into neutral while driving does the noise/vibration continue or does it stop until it is back in gear?
It's more in the front.....
When in neutral while driving the noise/vibration continues..
Thanks.

I take it the bearings you replaced were the front; were the hubs replaced as well? If not, were the old races removed from them?
Yes the front bearings were replaced but not the hubs. The old races were removed.
Great.

I know this sounds silly, but have you carefully inspected the condition of the front tires? It's really sounding like you may have one or more tires with a defect (cupped crowns, flat spots, etc). When this happens you will get a low frequency vibration felt through the floor and a heavy droning noise whenever in motion that doesn't really change.
All new michelins.....
New, or "recent"?
Recent........less than 3000 miles.....
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX't be long enough to cause any issue unless your alignment was really bad.
Was the problem present before the tires I take it?
Yes....but now you mention it, it does pull to the pass side a little .....
If the problem was there before the tires, even if the alignment was really bad the noise should have gone away when you put brand new tires on. They wouldn't immediately be noisy.

Given that the noise occurs at any time in motion, regardless of being in gear or not, the front bearings are new and the tires are not an issue, the only thing I can see if that you have a rear bearing that is just fooling you with regard to the origin of the noise. I seem to recall a bulletin on this a little while back that fit the bill pretty closely.
Rear bearing as in differential? Or transmission ?
Axle bearing.... please hang in there with me I'm trying to find the bulletin.
Ok no problem .....
Thanks for your patience.... I almost convince myself I was mistaken.

graphic

At this point with the conditions you are experiencing, it occurring in neutral, and the front bearings and tires being good, this is the only real logical path to follow I can see.
If this were in my shop, at this point I would hook up a set of chassis ears to the rear axle to help confirm. Most dealerships will have these, and they are just wires that can be clamped in various places (rear hub areas in this case) and go to a set of head phones to help identify if the noise is coming from the clamped location.
Unfortunately there isn't really any other "good" way to do this due to the location and having to be in motion to hear it etc.
Thanks Doug.....that's what I'll do. Is there anyway to contact you later to let you know outcome or next steps if needed? Email or #?

My contact is XXX-XXX-XXXX theo a.
As you may have noticed, personal information gets blocked as it is a terms of service rule that we maintain communication through the site only.
You can however return to this page and post and I will be notified as soon as I am at work and available and brought here for response.
There is no restriction on that, time requirements or anything like that... an hour from now or a month from now, just post and I'll get the notification, so no need to open a new question (for the same subject).
Thanks Doug ! Very helpful....
You're very welcome.

Good luck!
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Doug
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician