Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Hello - We have a 2006 Toyota Tacoma with aftermarket suspension.

My son just noticed the...
Hello - We have a 2006 Toyota Tacoma with aftermarket suspension. My son just noticed the left leaf spring is broken and is it safe to drive with a broken leaf spring. I don't get paid until friday so is there a temporary fix we can do?
6/17/2013
Dan, Technician
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem solved. There is no temporary fix you can do but it will be fine to drive for a week as is, just do not load up bunch of weight in truck or try to pull anything with a trailer until it is fixed. Let me know if you have questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.
Dan, Technician

What if it's been broke longer than a week we just didn't know. He thinks its been broke a while.

I've seen people drive with broken leaf springs for long periods and I have never seen it cause any damage so you do not have anything to worry about by driving it another week or even if it has been driven longer then a week. It can effect the handling of the vehicle so I would try to get it fixed asap but you can still drive it in the meantime. Let me know if you have any questions, thanks.

Thanks Dan! One more question... he told me a foot of it is already missing. Sorry to give you one question at a time but that is how he is giving me the information.

That still wouldn't matter, the only way it would matter is if the spring was completely broken allowing suspension to be bottomed out. If that happened it could damage the mounts and bushings from suspension from the harsh impacts caused from the ride. Let me know if you have any other questions at all. Thanks Ronda.

Thank you!!!!! Have a wonderful evening!

Dan, Technician